Big Idea: Jesus is Alive!
Monthly Symbol: Cross
Memory Verse: “Christ died for us” – Romans 5:8b
Bible Story Focus: The Triumphant Entry | Matthew 21:1-11
Lesson Overview: In this lesson, kids will hear of when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey. They will learn that the people were asking for a special kind of King, but they didn’t understand that Jesus was a King that would die for them on a cross. Kids will hear that the same people that cheered for Him as He entered the city are the same people that crucified Him a week later.
Big Idea: Jesus is alive. Our Forever King died and rose again.
Memory Verse: “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8
Story & Lesson Overview: Jesus’ Death and Resurrection (Matthew 27:31-28:10)
In this lesson, kids will hear of Jesus’ death on a cross and resurrection from the dead. They will learn that Jesus died for those He loves and raised again so that we too may have life with God. Jesus now sits on a throne in Heaven, as our Forever King, where we will one day be with Him, worshipping Him for eternity.
Circle Time Discussion: What’s your favorite part of Easter?
I Wonder Questions (snack time discussion):
I wonder…how did Jesus die? *Crucifixion\On the Cross.
I wonder…how many days was it until Jesus was resurrected? *Three
I wonder…Who was the first to see Jesus? *Mary Magdalene.
Activities: Children at 8:00 and 11:00 will hunt for empty Easter eggs and talk about the empty tomb. Then they will make a sticker scene to take home. At 9:30 children will do a scratch off tomb scene and have a sticker scene to take home.
Elementary: All classrooms at 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00
Key Concept: Jesus, our Servant King, died on the cross and rose again!
Memory Verse: For even the Son of Man came to serve, not to be served and to give His life as a ransom for many. Mark 10:45
Lesson & Activity Overview: In Large Group children will worship the risen Christ through singing, hear the story of Holy Week, and learn that Jesus is the way to spending forever with God. In classrooms children will reflect on the events of Holy Week by coloring a Holy Week activity wheel.
- Retell the story of the Holy Week including Palm Sunday, the Crucifixion and Easter Sunday.
- Understand that Jesus gave His life willingly because He trusted God’s plan to rescue our fallen world.
- Recognize that Jesus is the only way to spending forever with God; Jesus died for our sins when he defeated death on the cross ad rose again.
- Understand that those who believe in Jesus and trust Him as their Savior will rise again as well.
Questions to ask at home:
- Why did Jesus die?
- The Crucifixion happened on a day we call “Good Friday.” Why do you think Christians can call what happened on this day “good?”
- Why do you think it was important for Jesus to rise from the dead?
- What did Mary do when she discovered Jesus was alive?